When we decided that we would be opening the door for other authors to come on the blog and spill the beans for our Six Secrets feature, I know immediately that I wanted my girl crush/fellow Carina UK author Kierney Scott to get involved.
Well, Kierney certainly didn’t disappoint! Here they are…
1. I was once detained by Immigration. In my defense, I had no idea I was an illegal immigrant; I am just exceptionally disorganized and bad at paperwork. Funnily enough, the Home Office does not consider this a defense and I spent the day in detention at Heathrow. I was let go after several hours and a very stern talking to. The other detainees weren’t so lucky and were sent back to their home countries. I must say, I found my time in detention very civilized, they brought in sandwiches and a tea trolley every few hours; Guantanamo Bay it was not.
2. I am scared of fires and open flames. When I was three, one of my cousins pushed me into a fire. I burned my arm quite badly. Since then I have been scared of fire. Luckily I only have a tiny wee scar thanks to the wonders of Aloe Vera.
3. I like to pretend I speak Spanish. I took Spanish for four years, always got the highest marks but I cannot speak it to save my life. I managed to get A’s all the way through because all the exams were written. Apparently I mumble when I speak Spanish. I didn’t realize this until my best friend, who is Guatemalan, said, “I know what you think you are saying…but you really aren’t saying that.”
4. I keep a good secret. People tell me things: gay affairs, criminal records, impotence… People just tell me things, probably because I am not judgmental, and because I don’t tell anyone except my husband. And he is a vault.
5. I hate snarky. Snarky is just another name for mean and I am not down with that. Kindness is so underrated. I am all for assertive and empowered. By all means give your opinion, but be nice about it.
6. I have a deep and abiding love for peanut butter. This isn’t a secret. Anyone who has been to my house knows this. What they might not know is that I try to include peanut butter in all of my books. It is my way of thanking the Universe for the most delicious and versatile food ever.